Thursday, January 31, 2013

Knitting Projects: Cabled Hat

This is a much more recent project, a hat made for my sister for Christmas.  We were fortunate to have my family come visit us in France for Christmas - making the holidays away from home not just bearable, but an adventure!  We spent a week in our city of Montpellier, France, then we all traveled together in southern Germany for the second week.  As this Christmas was exceptional (and suitcase space was limited), we decided to keep gift-giving more simple.  Each person bought stocking stuffers for another person in the family, souvenirs and such that we found during our travels.  Great idea!


I had started this hat before these arrangements were made, however, so this gift was a bonus to my sister.  I got the yarn (Bergere de France Idéal in Truffe, almost 2 full skeins) from my favorite local yarn shop here in Montpellier - La Mercerie.  Not only does this shop have the best selection of yarn, but it also hosts a get-together once a month for friends to hang out in the store, have tea, and knit.  I went to my first one in December, then again this month.  It's a great way to meet new people, practice my French, and share a hobby with others.

This hat was also my first knitting project with cables, and I had a lot of fun learning how to do them.  Here's the pattern: click here.  My sister loved the hat, and it made many appearances in the photos we took in Germany!
Sisters enjoying a bratwurst in Freiburg

No comments: